Saturday, March 30, 2013

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel: His Strategy For Cutting Pentagon Spending

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel gestures toward a reporter waiting to ask questions during a briefing at the Pentagon, March 28, 2013. Hagel and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, discussed the ongoing sequester affecting the Defense Department's budget and North Korea's recent provocative actions. DOD photo by Glenn Fawcett

From Battleland:

“There will be changes, some significant changes. There's no way around it. I would say also this is an imperfect process, and any decisions we make -- and we'll have to make some and will make some -- will be within the context of that imperfection. But we don't have any choices but get through a very significant analysis, back to why I asked the chairman and the deputy to lead a review on intensifying a review on everything. I mean, what do we really need? How do we protect those strategic interests? There are some opportunities in that, I think. I think everyone would agree we would just assume not have to find the high ground of opportunities this way, but we are where we are. So that's what we're going to do.”

— Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, outlining his strategy for cutting Pentagon spending to reporters on Thursday.

My Comment: And I thought President Bush was a terrible speaker.

No comments: